Board Meeting—Barnes Lake Club
November 3, 2021
Meeting called to order at 7:02 PM
Board Members Present: Pam Reid, Del Shoopman, Lacy Minard, Cece Stramsak, Pat Betcher, Teresa Rolland, Brian Menard, and Alex Nikora. Absent: Derek Morey
Guests: Jackie & Cory Compeau, Burt Bentley, Tom Petts, Burns Rolland.
Minutes of Last Meeting: Cece Stramsak made a motion to accept the minutes of the last meeting and was seconded by Cece Del Shoopman. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Brian Menard made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report and was seconded by Lacy Minard. Motion passed.
Membership Update: We have 246 this year and membership is closed. Anyone who pays from this point forward will go towards 2022.
Bills for Payment: None
Special Events Reports:
- A. Halloween Party 10/16: There were only 46 people that attended this year vs. over 60 the previous years. Pam could have used more volunteers. Since Fantasy Forest and Lapeer downtown trick or treat was the same day we think it affected the attendance. We’ll see if we need to change the dates next year so they don’t fall on the same day.
- B. Christmas Lights Contest: Will be one day this December, the 18th.
- C. Fishing Contest: The last day is October 31st. John didn’t attend the meeting but did send Cece an update on the winners in all the categories. They will be able to be viewed on the website. Congrats to all the winners!
- D. Spring Observer: The spring edition will go out in mid-May. Cece explained the difference between the March mailing and the spring, summer, and fall Observers.
Beach/Pavilion Maintenance Report: Alex reported that the buoys are all out of the water and he’ll put the toys away and mow the lawn one more time before the snow flies. Alex asked if Justin could take over the grass cutting as his back is in really bad shape. A motion was made to pay for the lawn work to be done for $65 by Pat Betcher and seconded by Lacy Minard. Motion carried. Alex also pointed out that there will need to be work done to the building soon.
Park Lot Maintenance: There are a few boats left on lots that will need to be gone soon. We will be locking the gate after the first ice. The dock registration information was sent out this week. Alex will have the Lot V stakes fixed soon.
Scouting Report: Teresa reported that the bucket camp out at the Morey residence was a success. There were 10 Scouts and 3 leaders. One Scout got his cooking rank and two more had rank achievements.
Barnes Lake Improvement Board: Burns let us know that they’ve paid for the permit revision and he hopes they can get it approved this fall. The dredging will move forward before there’s ice unless they can’t find the right bag to pump into. The bag will allow the water to flow back into the lake but trap the silt. We’ll need silt fencing or a curtain to control the flow of the silt that does flow back.
- A. Barnes Lake Club using PayPal: It will be ready by December 1st. Lacy or Derek will make a flyer for the March mailing on how to use it.
- B. Park Lot V survey: Has been completed and paid for.
- C. Lawsuit: No new information.
- D. Tree Cutting: Tree cutting is on the docket for this winter at some of the park lots
- E. Fish Stocking: Alex has the permit ready and will be stocking perch and walleye as soon they’re available.
- A. Website: Stacey Staples is ready to step down as our webmaster. She will have a conversation with Brian Menard about the amount of maintenance involved in taking over the website and they will go from there.
The next meeting will be April 6, 2022 and Del Shoopman will chair.
Cece Stramsak made a motion to adjourn and was seconded by Brian Menard. The motion carried and the meeting adjourned at 7:40 PM.
Respectfully submitted, Lacy Minard